Valve’s flagship VR game Half-Life: Alyx launches on Steam today.
Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, in the game Alyx Vance and her father Eli “mount an early resistance to the Combine’s brutal occupation of Earth.” As Alyx, you engage in combat, solve puzzles, and explore a world turned derelict thanks to an alien invasion.
Half-Life: Alyx was first announced in November 2019 and quickly led to the Valve Index Headset selling out worldwide – of course, it is also compatible with many other VR headsets, including the much cheaper Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
So how does it fare? Read on below for our round-up of reviews from across the Internet:
- The VG247 review – VR’s killer app is a key component in the Half-Life story 5/5
- Eurogamer – Recommended
- USgamer – 4.5/5
- IGN – 10/10
- PC Gamer – 92/100
- Venturebeat – 80/100
- Gamesradar – 4.5/5
- Gamespot – 9/10
- PCGamesN – 9/10
- Video Games Chronicle – 5/5
- PC World – 4.5/5
- Road to VR – 10/10
- Polygon – Recommended
- Engadget – “Half-Life: Alyx doesn’t just retread what we’ve seen in previous games, and it proves it’s possible to make a lengthy, big-budget VR title. “
- Ars Technica – “The greatest VR adventure game yet – and then some”
- Kotaku – “Half-Life: Alyx reaches some astoundingly high heights while also managing to be both too ambitious and too conservative for its own good.“
- The Verge – “This isn’t Valve at its most revelatory — but after waiting more than a decade, it’s the Half-Life story I didn’t know I wanted.”